2

Thursday, June 09, 2005

First day in Tokyo

Yesterday morning after I woke up, I felt a bit chunky (again) so I decided to go for a morning jog around Shiba-Koen (Shiba Park) near the Tokyo Tower. For some of you not familiar with Japan, Tokyo Tower is basically a replica of the Eiffle Tower except its red, and purposely built slightly taller than the Eiffle Tower (just to piss off the Frenchies). It was a great jog since human traffic on the sidewalks weren't bad at all. My cousin and aunt was baffled when I told them I was going out for a jog. "Wow, you are SO American" is what they said to me in Japanese. HAHAHA. I guess I forgot that most people who jog here are mainly foreigners. Anyway, I managed to run around the Shiba Park twice, which is supposedly around 3km (1.5 km x 2) long according to my cousin. Now my knees hurt.

Afterwards, I jogged to one of my favorite bakery "Montabour" in Azabu-Jyuuban for some Japanese pastries for breakfast. I've been craving for these bread ever since I left Japan the last time I was here! Mmm Mmm Mmm... delicious. Yes, I know, eating bread is going against my low-carb diet, but hey, I'm on vacation -- gotta live it up a little :)

In the afternoon, I did some shopping in Shibuya and Harajuku before I met up with my friend, Yuko for afternoon tea in Omotesando. In case you're wondering, no I didn't find Harajuku Girl or Gwen Stefani in sight. But what I did find was a good place to eat "takoyaki" (octopus balls) while drinking "lamune" (japanese version of the sprite with glass marble in the bottle). It was yummylicious.

It was so good to see my friend, Yuko again. Wow, her stomach is huge! I can't wait till she give birth to the baby boy -- I'm also excited to be the god father. After spending the afternoon catching up, we decided to reconvene later that night for dinner with more friends in Roppongi.

At night, I met up with some of my friends (Anna, Yoko, Koji, Jeremy, Yo, Rachel, and Kayo) for Japanese dinner and drinks in Roppongi. The food was amazingly good (which is no shocker) but what was even better was catching up and laughing like crazy with my friends-- just like how we use to. I totally appreciate them taking me out to dinner. They are so nice! It was also really nice to catch up with Anna with her endless funny and interesting stories. Then we went out to a bar called "Mogambo" in Roppongi with Jeremy, Yoko, and Anna to meet up with Jeremy's boss from Bear. Dranked a bit more before catching a taxi home and calling it a night.

Overall, it was a great day!

Afternoon tea with Yuko! I can't wait till she give birth to her baby in the next couple of weeks! Maybe she'll have the baby while I'm here :)


Anna and I at the restaurant in Roppongi.


Dinner in Roppongi with friends (Left to Right: Jeremy, Koji, me, Anna, Yoko, Kayo, Rachel, and Yo). We're holding up this humongous piece of fish sashimi that was on the house thanks to Anna who frequents there a lot .


Cool Idea - mini refergerator that looks like a vending machine. Brilliant.


Octopus Ball - yummy


Only in Japan.... pillow in the shape of a women's leg. Hilarious.

1 Comments:

Blogger bookbug said...

Hi Jack!
We put the same picture on our each blog:)
Cool!!
Thanks for fabulous presents for my baby=your god son!
I was sorry that I couldn't make it last night:(

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home