2

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas everybody!

For some reason, it really didn't feel like Christmas again this year. Another hummdinger Christmas. Boo. I feel like ever since I graduated from college, it feels less and less like Christmas every year. I wonder why? Does anybody else feel the same way? Or is it because I'm no longer young enough to enjoy Christmas like I use to? I guess the thought of having to go out and buy presents just stresses me out because I never know what to get people. When I was younger, I had a lot more things on my christmas list that I wanted. But as I get older, I feel like I don't really want anything for Christmas anymore. It's proably because now that I'm older, I can just go out and buy what I want right away without having to wait until Christmas to come around. Christmas use to be my FAVORITE holiday of the year. Hopefully next Christmas will be more exciting.

Anyway, in the morning, I went to the airport and picked up my parents from their 1 month trip to Taiwan and Japan. I know it sounds weird, but it's really good having my parents back. Not because I no longer have to drive my baby brother everywhere (well that too), but because I haven't seen them since September. I guess I really missed talking to them on a regular basis. So yah, I'm pretty close to them like that. After the airport, we went to a Pho place for lunch since mom was totally craving for a bowl of Pho for some reason. I guess there weren't many good Pho places in Taiwan and Japan.

Unlike most families who has at least one Christmas meal at home, our family had our Christmas dinner at a Chinese restaurant just like every year. If you haven't noticed, our family eat out A LOT. I can barely remember growing up when my mom actually cooked. I guess you can say that my brothers and I grew up eating a lot of restaurants and take-out food =) The food we had on Christmas was pretty good. I've always liked eating Chinese banquet food. My favorite was the "duck burgers" -- peking duck with chinese buns. hmmm mmm delicious.

Later that night, I went to see the "Memoirs of a Geisha". Aside from the story line, I liked the cinematography and the musical scores from the movie. I just think the whole movie was very beautifully shot (although some scenes were just too Japanesey and looked fake). But I didn't think certain parts of the movie accurately protrayed the Japanese culture very well though. I was also annoyed in the beginning when all of the Asians spoke English with various degrees of thick Asian fobby accents. Most of the accents were bad but I've gotten use to it as the movie progressed. Besides Ken Watanabe, most of the casts were Chinese but pretended to be Japanese and that didn't settle too well with me either. In the beginning some of the characters tried to speak Japanese but I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying! Just because they try to phonetically make it sound like Japanese, that its really Japanese! This totally reminded me of when I saw Kill Bill in Japan with no subtitles since Hollywood automatically assumed that all of the Japanese people would understand Lucy Liu's poor and accented Japanese in the movie. Anyways, despite all this, I REALLY enjoyed the movie. I totally recommend everybody to see it!

In other news, I'm planning to drive up to San Francisco on Tuesday to meet up and hang out with some friends before they take off for their vacation to Southeast Asia. It should be a lot of fun.

That's enough for today! Hope ya'll had a great Christmas! Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home