2

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Cornell Leadership Trek

I attended our school's annual "Leadership Trek" field trip this past Thursday. The purpose of the trip was basically to empower us (MBA'ers) with the different leadership models that exist, and how we can strive to improve our own leadership skills, both in the workplace, as well as in our community.

On Thursday evening, after 4.5 hours of on the road, our tour bus finally arrived in a small town in upstate New York called Nylack, NY. We spent the night there since our Leadership session started at 8am the next morning.

The first stop that day was at General Electric's Leadership Development Center. This site was remotely located on the top of a hill overlooking a lake. The site was gorgeous. As we're driving up, it felt like we were going on a nice relaxing vacation somewhere out in the woods. This center was developed under GE's late CEO, Jack Welch. As you know, GE is famous for turning out solid, quality business leaders and this was the location devoted to do just that.

Some interesting information I learned:
  • GE has 310,000 employees world-wide. Holy Cow! That's A LOT of people. I mean Goldman only had about 20K, and KPMG had roughly 100K globally, and I thought that was a lot. But considering how many people work there, I don't have a single friend who works for GE.
  • GE spent nearly $50 million constructing this Leadership Development Center - I can smell the money in the bldg :)
  • The current CEO, Jeff Immelt, is only 49 years old.
  • GE's consolidated annual revenue is $132 BILLION (!!!)
In the presentation, we talked a lot about GE's way of training leaders in their orgnization and how they reward and retain these people. They have over a dozen different types of leadership rotation program which all sounded like an awesome opportunity. Listening to all this talk about developing leaders really made me think about going after a leadership rotation program next year after I'm done with business school. Hmmm...

Overall, I had a fantastic time on the Leadership Trek, and learned a great deal. The Trek was very well organized by my very own classmates.

Some Pictures from GE:


In the afternoon, we took our tour bus to the US Academy at West Point. Yup, the famous West Point army school. Right after I got off the bus, I noticed all of the nice historic looking bluding with different groups of cadets outside. The place was pretty impressive as well. We got a nice tour of the campus and aw bunch of cadets in training.

Overall, I have to say, this Leadership Trek was very well organized and I've got more out of it then I expected.

West Point Museum



Some of the Cornell Leadership Trek Team



Army Cadets:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading Cornell Leadership Trek I got a wonderful idea and some of your other posts. Frankly I was looking for meeting facilitator resources and came here. Good thing though. I am inspired now once again. Jack keep up the good work. I'll check back later. Hello from Las Vegas.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home